Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Worried about the future...

I really am, y'all. Kids these days have no ability to think and reason. It's scary how little sophomores know these days. For example, we were working on figuring out meanings of words by using context clues in sentences. This activity was multiple choice, by the way. The majority of students did not know that maternal refers to mother. I was floored! I said, "Have you never heard of maternity clothes?? See the resemblance in the two words??" It was a classroom full of "Oooooohhhhhh! I get it now!" Seriously. The future of society will be in the hands of these children one day. Lord, help us.

3 comments:

AmyD said...

They didn't know what maternal meant? WOW.

Grace said...

In a week or so, you should ask if they know what "paternal" means. Would be interested to see if that gets a similar response!

Holli, did you know (you probably did) that Tuesday was National Grammar Day? There were some interesting little quizes on MSN that day. I think I made it through the 11th grade! ha!

Holli said...

I went on to explain the meaning of paternal while I had the chance. But I did not know about National Grammar Day! Very interesting.